МУЗЕЙ
ИСТОРИИ
МОГИЛЕВА

БеларускiРусскийEnglish

About Museum
Town hall
Memorial Complex “Buinitskaye Poley”
Showroom
History of Mahiliou
Old photos
Buying exhibits
Price
Payment account

First wooden Mahiliou Town Hall was built in 1578. It was positioned at the start of Vetranaya (Leninskaya) street. In 1668 Mahiliou Magistrate decided to build a brick town hall. A two-strayed building of the town hall was erected in 1679 – 1681 under command of Feska the headman. In 1682 – 1686 the team of headman Kruzberg from Bykhau erected a block-stone tower 26 meters tall. On the 1st September 1686 the tower collapsed. A new tower that stayed till 1957, was started in 1692 by headman Ihnat and his team. It became one of major vertical predominant of the city. 5-level octal tower was crowned by a faceted dome with a spire; it had a balcony with a metal lattice and a large clock. In 1915 to 1918, when Supreme High Command General Headquarters was quartered in Mahiliou, its radio station was kept in the Town Hall. The tower served as a support for the aerial. The Decree No. 28 of BSSR Council of People’s Commissars dated 3rd August 1926 placed Mahiliou Town Hall under State protection, it was declared national property. Before the Revolution and in the pre-war period a fire watch post was located on the Town Hall. In July 1941, during the urban defence, a large red banner was fluttering on the tower in response to the German ultimatum to surrender. In the summer of 1945, after inspecting the building harmed by the war, the commission of most authoritative Belarusian historians and architects declared the Town Hall a monument of all-union value. In 1953 Mahiliou Municipal Executive Committee took decision No. 725 "Handover the former Town Hall to Mahiliou Municipal Services System to be preserved as an architectural monument and finish the Town Hall renovation and restoration by 5th December 1953". In the same night of July 1957 two 17th-century architectural monuments, Town Hall and Dormitory Church, were simultaneously exploded in Mahiliou. On 23 May 1992 a first foundation stone of the Town Hall to be constructed was triumphantly laid and consecrated by Archbishop Maxim. Visitant builders did not work longer than a month in total. Then there was a pause of 15 long years. During this period Mahiliou community campaigned time and again for continuing the Town Hall restoration; articles were published in mass media, signatures collections were arranged. OAO "Pramzhilbud" started a new history of Town Hall in August 2007. The results of strained, veritably creative work of constructors and finishers are evident; the revived Town Hall was built on 3rd July 2008. A unique component of the restored Mahiliou Town Hall is the tower clock, created and designed by Hennadz Halouchyk.

001 002

June 28, 2014 at the Town Hall Tower, a new "resident" - a mechanical figure of urban trumpeter. The idea and the executor of the mechanical part of the mechanical sculptures became a watchmaker Henadz Halouchyk. The author of the artistic part (face and hands) became Mahiliou sculptor Andrei Varabiou.
October 1, 2014, the International Day of Music, City Hall held a kind of holiday - Day of the blower, which held an open vote on the choice of a name for the mechanical blower. Options adopted by a vote, within a few months came to the museum from the public not only from Mahiliou, but from different cities of Belarus and even from abroad. As a result of majority voting is the name chosen Mahislau (from “glorify Mahiliou”) proposed sculptor Andrei Varabiou.
Now Mahislau every day performs a city from the balcony of the Town Hall fanfare, three times a day - at 12 am, at 8 o'clock in the evening (the symbolism of this output is connected with eight symbols as an infinity sign), and the third time - at the moment when Mahiliou on the sun sets. Table of last output.
Music that takes Mahislau, was recorded at the end of a special competition on urban fanfare, artist - Dzmitry Kasciushka.

001 002 002

© 2016. All rights reserved. UK "Museum of History of Mahiliou"
1A Leninskaya Street, Mahiliou, Republic of Belarus, 212030
Phone No.: +375 (222) 24-50-11
E-mail: ratusha.mogilev@gmail.com